Thursday, September 28, 2006

Holy java, Batman!

I brought in a delivery to a local convenience store today. 3 ladies were working in there, and Thursday is always their busiest day, because all of the product for the week comes in from all the vendors. A pair of ladies were feverishly working together in one aisle, trying to price and display their merchandise, while the third was manning the register with a line of customers. (The scene is set...)
As I set about to my work of putting my sodas in the coolers, a man walked in and passed the register on his way to the coffee machine at the back of the store. Now, there's no way on earth he couldn't have noticed how busy everyone was, but that didn't stop from bellowing out in a combatant tone, "There's no coffee here! You're out of coffee!"
The poor cashier had to leave the line of waiting customers to appease Mr. Valdez. However, as soon as she made it back to the machine, she saw the man's claim was not quite true. "There's coffee here! There's half a pot!"
The man arrogantly voiced, "Yeah, but I have to fill my mug here, plus I'm filling cups for three of my friends!"
Flustered, the poor over-worked clerk said, "Fine. I'll make some more, but just give me a couple of minutes to finish with the other customers."
"No, no," the man contradicted. "You don't have to do that. It's not a big deal." Then, with a pregnant pause, he proudly breathed, "After all, I'm a Christian and a man of peace."
Such an out-of-place declaration drew incredulous stares from both the clerk and myself.

You're a man of peace, huh? Then why did you raise such a big stink about there not being any joe, drawing others away from their business just so they could lick your French-roasted boots???

2 comments:

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

even Christian men of peace are a bit cranky when they haven't had their morning coffee.

Asaph's Table said...

It was 1:00 in the afternoon!!!