Monday, September 18, 2006

Life in the stopped lane

On Mondays, my work route takes me in such a way that I need to return to the warehouse via a toll highway. Each toll booth has designated (key word here) lanes for E-Z Pass, an electronic "ticket" or box which is placed in your windshield and scanned as you pass through the booth at a low speed, negating the need to actually stop and pay a toll each time. It's kind of like a credit card for the toll road.
I guess this technology is a bit too much for some to handle, however.
As I pulled into a lane to pay my toll, I got stuck behind a Honda Accord with a young woman driving it. She had an E-Z Pass, but did not pull into the correct lane. The attendant was a bit annoyed. "I only take tolls with tickets," he notified the driver. "I can't do anything with your Pass."
"Oh," the woman fretted. Then, trying to be helpful-- so to speak-- she handed the box to the attendant. "Well, can't you just deduct it off my credit total?"
"No!" the booth man emphatically declared. "You'll have to pull forward and off the side of the road until the supervisor can figure out what to do about this."
The doofus was not about to be swayed. "Look, I'm in a hurry. I need you to charge my Pass so I can be on my way!"
Now the attendant was steamed. "What part of NO don't you understand? Pull forward and off the road so the people behind you can get through!"
"I can't DO that!" the driver answered. "I need to pay my *%^#!! toll!"
Resolutely, the toll worker stated, "I... can't... help... you, Miss!"
"OOOOOHHH!" the driver angrily exclaimed, and took off.

Fines for failure to pay tolls in PA are $250. I hope she can get that credited off her Pass.

2 comments:

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

we don't have any toll highways around here. i feel so left out!

Kris said...

I hate people like that. There are an abnormal amount of them in Alaska.

K.