Thursday, March 15, 2007

2nd today: Classic 7up or New 7up?

I delivered beverages to a nearby grocery store this last Wednesday. Not only am I responsible for bringing the product, but also for stocking the shelves at this store. They were bare! As such, when I wheeled out the goods onto the sales floor, many people asked me, "Could you hand me such-and-such?" ...Which I don't mind, so long as people aren't having a mental embolism. And they often do!
Case in point: I brought out 12-pack cans of Diet 7up. A lady asked me, "Do you have any of the regular diet 7up?" I offered her one of the 12-packs on my cart.
"No, I want the regular diet up."
Hesitantly, I stuttered, "This is it, ma'am."
She defied, "No, that has lemon in it."
Puzzled, but politely, I pointed, "Yes... Diet 7up has always had lemon in it."
Amazed, she did a double take and blurted, "Really???"
In an attempt to dissolve any tension, I said, "Yeah. I remember those ads when I was a kid, 'That great ly-mon taste.'" (Come to think of it, I think that's Sprite, but I know 7up always mentioned lemon and lime being in their drink.)
After a reflective pause, a sour expression crossed her face, and she shot, "Wow. I don't like lemon..."

Ah, yes, the Un-cola. Perfect for the un-aware.

No comments: