Friday, March 02, 2007

How may I endanger you today?

Today I drove my beverage truck to an area grocery store (privately-owned) to make a delivery. I have one of those trucks that has bay doors on the side, as opposed to a big truck with a single door on the back. I had quite a lot of product, which my loaders had set in my truck on pallets. I entered the store, and asked the receiver if I could use their forklift to pull off the pallets and bring them inside the dock. Like a complete doofus, the receiver said, "Sure."
I say he's a doofus because he left out one VERY important piece of information. Read on.
I started the forklift, and proceeded off the dock toward my truck, which sat on a slight downward slope. As I attempted to position the lift accordingly, I suddenly found out what the missing piece of info was.
No brakes.
(A forklift typically weighs over a ton. The split-second prospect of hurtling toward a 10-ton truck on a 1-plus-ton lift was most unsettling, especially when it came to my physical well-being.)
So here I am, about to crash into my truck. All I had time to do was hold on and cut the wheel hard, so that I struck my truck with the side of the lift without doing any damage.
*KA-BOOM!!!*
I was unhurt, but quite agitated, as doofus came running out, hollering, "Hey! What are you doing???"
"What am I doing??" I raged. "Why didn't you tell me this piece of crap had no brakes?!?"
After a long, vacant pause, he muttered, "Oh, yeah, I should've told you..."

With help like this, I think I can safely assume this store is never going to be competing with the Kroger's of the world.



1 comment:

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

My cousin almost had his life ended on a runaway fork lift. Thank God you were alright!