Sunday, December 10, 2006

Closed captioning for the living impaired

Last Friday I went into a local bank to make a withdraw. For some strange reason, the institution has a large plasma TV mounted on the wall above the tellers-- apparently to give you something to do while you wait in line. However, there is no sound, so the Closed Captioning is flashed across the screen. As you may know, the CC rarely matches the actual speech used. It also is often grammatically incorrect.
As I watched, an advert for Aleve pain relief came on. A gal from Jamaica, NY was talking about how difficult arthritis can make her work of volunteering to take meals to the less-fortunate.
"I love taking food to the shut-ins, but I had arthritis in my fingers, in my elbows, in my ees... (I guess that's supposed to be "knees.") I took away my life. Then my friend told me about Aleve..."

Wow. Talk about a miracle recovery from suicide! You take your life away, but you CAN be revived with Aleve!

1 comment:

Joe Clark said...

Deletion of “kn” (note: two characters) likely happened because a frame was dropped. You get two characters per frame max in closed captioning.

“I took away” for “It took away” is harder to explain.