Sunday, December 31, 2006

Instructions for the intelligence impaired

I had given a decorative covered candle to my wife for Christmas. (It was a small, old-fashioned church with a removable roof, revealing the candle inside.) It turned out to be a sort-of gift to myself, however, as I received a series of laughs upon reading the instructions on the box. I know companies have to cover themselves legally, but do they truly believe all consumers are idiots?

Candle will become hot during use.
Are you SURE about that?

Never extinguish flame with water.
Oh. Well, can I use my fire extinguisher instead?

Never drop burned matches or other objects into candle.
Hey honey, have you seen the nail clippers? Oh, never mind, here they are in the candle.

Never burn candle with lid on.
After all, the flame doesn't require oxygen to burn, right?

Never burn candle near combustible materials or in an enclosed area.
You mean, like in my HOUSE?


I tell you, if people have attempted any of these things, or doesn't understand the concepts before lighting up the candle, perhaps the wick doesn't burn at both ends, if you know what I mean.

No comments: