Saturday, December 23, 2006

Lap song and dance

My family and I have the opportunity to go to a neighborhood city park and see a wonderful light display. The way the city Parks and Recreation department have it set up is that you can view the whole thing from the comfort of your car as you travel along a path circling around the grounds.
At the end of the trail, there's a refreshment stand, and a small trailer with Santa inside. Hoping to raise a little bit of extra cash, the Parks folks decided to sell photo ops with Santa. A small sign was posted on the side of the trailer: "Pictures with Santa-- $8.00 per framed portrait. You take photo: $3.00."

Now, just hold your red-nosed reindeer a second, Nick. You're going to charge me for taking my own photo, with my own camera, of my child on your knee? I guess the whole concept is that if professional sports figures can charge for an autograph, Kris Kringle can get some bling bling, too. It's just the whole idea of a benevolent, giving figurehead becoming a cash cow is a little too much to swallow.

Ending pre-Christmas postings with a lighter note next!

No comments: