Sunday, May 14, 2006

What did I just see???

In my travels, I observe a lot of things that just don't make sense. For example, Friday, I was rolling along on a country road. The speed limit was 55 MPH, and the path goes parallel to a river. As such, for a 3 mile stretch, a guard rail borders the one side of the road, while a mountain-side cliff edges the other side. So there I am, zipping through at 55, when suddenly I spot a sign which read, "Falling Rock Zone."
...Is that supposed to make me feel better? I know the objective behind the sign is to alert drivers to a potential hazard, but when you're going 55, it doesn't matter if you're as alert as you could be or you're comatose!
Can you imagine some guy just driving along, minding his own business... "Hmm," he says to himself, "What's that sign say? 'Falling Rock Zone?' Oh, OK..... AAAAAAAAGHHHHH!!!"
***THUD!***
Twenty minutes later the paramedics respond, cutting the guy out of his car crushed by a 5-ton boulder with the jaws of life... The medic calls, "Hey, bud, you OK?"
The man weakly mumbles, "Yeah... Wow! I'm sure glad there was a sign!"
"Yeah, that was lucky for you!" retorts the rescuer...

No comments: