Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Who's The Boss?

Today I made a delivery to a local convenient store which is owned by 2 men of foreign heritage. (I am declining to mention race/creed so as to not offend or agitate anyone!) Anyhow, the point is that the one owner seemed to have an answer for everything, even things he had no clue about.
I had 12 cases of beverages going in, and my hand truck won't carry that many in one trip, so I stacked up half the cases and wheeled them in. The co-owner told me to pick up one case from a previous weeks' order that he didn't want. I replied, "OK, I'll go get the other 6 cases and then take that out."
"NO! TAKE IT OUT NOW! TAKE IT!" he emphatically shouted.
Not wanting to raise the man's ire further, I said, "Fine. I'll just call in to the office to get the price so we can properly credit your bill."
"It's $16.95," he snapped. "You can take it off right now!"
(What was this guy's rush?)
"I'm sure that's the price, but I have to confirm this with the office. It's company policy," I stressed.
"OK," he dismissed, "You call, but I'm telling you that's the price."
Ignoring him, I contacted HQ, where I learned the cost was actually $20.95. No sooner had I hung up, when Mr. Know-It-All came back and jeered, "Did you call them?"
"Yes," I gently but slowly retorted. "The price is actually $4 more than we (translation:YOU) thought."
"Yes, very good," he smugly sniffed. "I told you it was right of you to call."

Ah, yes, nothing's better than sounding important while looking like a complete moron!

1 comment:

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

Ooooh! Comments like that would drive me mad!