Thursday, October 13, 2005

The dark side of the moon

THE STORY OF A WEIRD WORK SAGA

So I go to work today, and my supervisor takes making complete hell for the lives of me and my fellow department members to a new level. (I work in shipping and receiving for a uniform distribution center.) A truck full of cases comes in, so "Sam" goes to unload it. But first, he has to spend an hour trying to wake the driver, because the dude hadn't backed the trailer all the way to the bay door yet. Meanwhile, "Al" is working with me moving the stock from the back into our warehouse locations. "Joe" is on the shipping line, and "Bart" is sticking his thumb up his butt all day. Since Bart isn't handling the receiving, Sam has to double up and do that too. Oh, yeah, and Al has to double up and help Joe on the line, because the workload in shipping is so high. That leaves me to do all the stocking, maintenance and the reports. Then my super wants to have a 25 minute long meeting with us to describe the new time/activity recording sheets, which we already knew all about.
Bart's still playing Houdini... Oh, and we received twice as many shipments as usual. Hey, only 2 hours left to the end of the day! Let's have a 45-minute session describing benefits enrollment, which redundantly reads through all the information we all have at home! OK, back to work... WHAT? "The truck's not unloaded? Why not?"
Sam replies, "I've been handling all the trucks today. Of course it's not done!"
Where's Bart???
Then comes the kicker. 15 minutes left in my shift, and the super asks me, "Did you pull that special request grey pant that I needed?"
I had had enough. "No," I yelled back. "I didn't know there was a special request in, because I haven't had the chance to check the tickets in the computer because I've been running all over the place between stupid meetings!"
Now, if you were the super, how would you respond? Anger? Apology? Promise to pass that task onto the next shift? Nooooooooooo!
She smiles, and giggles. Yes, giggles.

In the words of Pink Floyd, "There's someone in my head, and it's not me!"
(OK, I know this wasn't something someone said per se, but it's still stupid!)


1 comment:

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

What?! You couldn't be doing 50 different things at once? That's why God gave us a 3rd and 4th arm...oh, wait...d'oh! LOL. I think being stupid is a pre-requisite to supervisory and management positions. (If I ever am placed in a position of true authority I'll have to rescind that comment. Smile.)