Saturday, October 22, 2005

"Dumb and Richer"

So I'm reading the story of Steve West from Medford, OR, the purported winner (singular) of the $340M Powerball jackpot. He waited 3 whole days before contacting a local TV station to claim he has the winning numbers. He, and apparently, some of his relatives, bought $40 worth of tickets to play. Several aspects of this story just don't add up. I don't mean I think the guy is lying; just that some of this is completely devoid of rationalism... For instance:
"We didn't watch the Powerball drawing."
Then why did you shell out $40???

"We got a call from other family members saying, 'I can't believe it, some of these numbers are matching.' And then she (a relative) started saying, 'All these numbers are matching.' And we thought, 'Wow.'"
What, was this a conference call? And if you didn't watch the drawing, instead getting the winning numbers from powerball.com, were you all logged onto your PC's at the same time, while you were on said call?

"I'm told by everybody that this is a life-changing situation, and I didn't plan on wanting to change that much."
Nah. Gobs and gobs of money will never change your life, so why plan to want to change?
Wait... PLAN to WANT?

"Of course, everybody dreams of winning the lottery, but I've never really made plans of what I would buy, because it never went that in-depth."
Hey honey, I hope we win $340M, not so we can buy stuff; just so we can have the money lying around.

I have an idea, Steve. Why don't you buy yourself a trip to see the Wizard of Oz? Maybe he'll give you a brain.

Maybe one of these comments will win a future STUPIE. Nominees for the first award is posted on 10/17. Please vote!



1 comment:

Kris said...

wizard of oz...brain...dying-from-laughing! Great post!

K.