Saturday, January 14, 2006

Is it dumb or is it Memorex?

Wilkes-Barre (PA) mayor Tom Leighton (creator of the "I believe" fiasco) is at it again. The leader of the crime-besieged metropolis is fiercely denying that things in "the WB" are really bad. Yesterday, he held an outdoor press conference in one of the not-so-horrible sections of town. Instead of standing at a podium, Tom led the media on a walking tour. "See, things are not bad here, despite what the news reporters are telling the public," he touted. When directly asked about the exponential increase of drug-related incidents, including shootings, arsons, stabbings and tons of robberies, Tom smiled and offered, "Well, yes, but as you said, that's all drug related. The drug people are in gangs, and they're just fighting each other... So really, they're helping us (police and government) with the problem."

EXSQUEEZE ME?!?!?

OK, Tom, you're right. I know I'm so safe as gangs take over my city, because they're not (intentionally) shooting at me. They're only shooting at each other! Oh yeah, and that cocaine dealer that lives next door doesn't want to bother anybody, so I'll just let him go about his business quietly. I don't look like a druggie so I won't get stabbed, shot, beaten or robbed.
Oh, and by the way, Turkey Tom, WHY were the top FIVE stories on the local news last night about robberies, murders, and high-speed police chases all taking place in the WB???

"Welcome to Wilkes-Barre. Numerous hospitals provided for your convenience."


No comments: