Saturday, January 28, 2006

Second today: An ego bigger than God's

The AP reported an odd story about a man in Reading, PA (pronounced "Redding" for all you out-of-staters, BTW) who is in a bit of a self-inflicted quandary when he found out he can't vote unless he explains or changes his signature on his voter's registration card. You see, though his name is (and printed as such) Paul Sewell, he signed his name "God."
He claims that's just a legal mark, much like those who are illiterate are allowed to sign "X." The idea came to him while on the job as a bail enforcement officer. "Whenever I go to arrest somebody, they say, 'Oh, God, give me another chance. Oh, God, let me go. I'll turn myself in tomorrow.'"
He doesn't understand why the Board of Elections has such a problem with this. "[The motor vehicles department] accepted it on my driver's license. I have a credit card with (my signature). It shouldn't be a problem."

Dude, WHAT are you smoking, I mean, thinking? Do you think you're making people's day? Yeah, I can envision what you think people's reaction is...
The police officer: "Oh, you're God? Sorry. I'll just let you go with a warning, even though you were going twice the speed limit."
The store salesman: "Hey, I sold a TV to God. Don't I get extra commission for that?"
The elections board: "It's official. Candidate X wins by virtue of earning God's vote. All other votes are invalid, since they aren't necessarily God's will, especially for votes cast in favor of Candidate Y."

No comments: