Thursday, January 12, 2006

Pessimistic about politics

Last summer, Tom Leighton, the mayor of a seriously distressed and crime-infested city (not to mention a center of urban decay on a monumental level) called the press and declared that he would be holding a press conference the following day featuring "an unbelievable announcement." Naturally, everyone got all psyched. What could it be? A mega company with tons of new jobs? A huge federal grant? A revitalization plan? ERRRRRRRRRNT! Wrong answer! He unveiled a huge banner featuring the slogan "I believe" and marketed it as a "positive image for the city." Was there a plan? No. A goal? Nope. A direction? Fuhgettaboutit.
The public went nuts with ridicule, and rightfully so. But since the coin always has two sides, local editor Gene Padden had to offer his take on the matter.
"He (Leighton) could have walked up to the podium, pulled down his pants, and crapped out an ice cream truck and people still would have said, 'He brought us all here just for that?'"

OK, you go ahead and defend your seat in fantasy land. I'll just be right here, getting robbed. Oh, wait, I don't have money because I don't have a job. Now I'm getting stabbed because I have no money. Now the thief is spray painting more hate slogans on my dilapidated, soon-to-be-repoed home. That's gonna hurt my property value! Nah, maybe not, since more than half the houses on my block are condemned already. "I believe" I could do a lot better elsewhere!!!

No comments: