Saturday, March 11, 2006

2nd today: Follow-up to "Non-listening skills"

INSTRUCTIONS: If you are new to this post, or if you haven't visited in a few days, please scroll down 2 posts to "Non-listening skills" and read, then return to this post and finish the torrid tale...

Inventory day had arrived. As I previously released in my so-called talk with Jan, I had availed myself to additional service in order to assist with the busy day. Remember, the plan was: get the day's orders picked, processed and shipped, then shut everything down and begin counting.
That was the plan, until Jan decided to mess with the whole ball of wax. After our Friday's orders were picked, instead of beginning the inventory, Jan planned a whole ton of future orders into our system, and created more work. A LOT of it. Almost a full shift's work, in fact. I frantically tried to keep up with the load, pulling the materials called for to move to the pickers. The shift ends at 3:30, and at 1:30 I was still filling requests for garments. Then, Jan called back to my department.
"OK, you've got 40 more requests to process, and then I want you guys (in your department) to start scanning the back for inventory," she demanded.
I audibly guffawed. "That's not happening on our shift!"
Jan contradicted, "Yes, it will."
My patience expired and I pointed out, "Look, I already have 60 request to pull, plus this 40, plus we already have 3 cart-loads of cases to stock. It's NOT happening!"
The befuddlement returned, and Jan muttered in a slightly surprised tone, "Oh... Well, if that's the case, I'll get (my assistant) Pat back there."
Pat never came back. Instead, Jan herself graced us with her clumsy and dazed presence.
She started hauling the boxes off the carts onto the stocking line, despite the fact that she has a bad back. 10 minutes later, the intercom paged, "Jan you have a call on line 1. It's Wynona (the 2nd shift super)."
I couldn't wait to hear what feeble excuse Jan would come up with, so I positioned my forklift in such a manner as to be able to overhear her, yet look busy.
Jan stammered, "Hi, Wynona... ...No, we haven't started (counting) yet... ...No, we're still processing future work... ...Well, I'm sorry... ...I know that makes it difficult for you, but we're committed now... ...Yes, I know that now. I'm sorry..."

I rarely say this, but... "I TOLD you so!!!"

So, are you still insistent that you're not easily confused, Jan?

1 comment:

benning said...

Is Jan a case of the "Peter Principle"? If she worked for me, she wouldn't be a supervisor.