Thursday, March 09, 2006

Non-listening skills

I had a "conversation"-- if you can call it that-- with my shift super, Jan today. Our company inventory is tomorrow, and the basic plan for the day is as follows: pick Friday's orders, process and ship them, then get everyone on physical counts. In other words, second shift will do more counting that first. With that said...
Being that I have a background with inventory control, I offered to be flexible with my shift, either by changing shifts, swing-shifting or even working 4 hours OT. Jan replied, "I think it's best for us to have everyone we need on first so we can begin our counts as soon as possible."
Not shaken by that, I said, "OK, that's fine. Do you need me to stay after and assist with the counts?"
Silently, a mental lapse occurred. "No, I need you here at 7:00 in the morning."
My brain hemorrhaged at the obvious disconnect between the last exchange. "Yes, I understand that. What I'm saying is that I could stay later as well with OT."
(Wasn't that a clear-cut sentence? Apparently not...)
"Well, thanks, but I need you here at the start of first shift."
As the stupidity hanging in the air wrapped around my cerebral cortex, I hesitated, and deliberately spoke, "I WILL be here at 7:00. That's fine. I have no problem with that. What I'm asking is if you would like me to work 7 - 3:30, and then stay to help second shift out on their counts, so you have an extra hand to help expedite inventory counting."
A look of complete and utter befuddlement crossed Jan's face. She blankly stared at me for a moment, then finally found the unction to utter, "Well, I'm not sure how that's going to work out. I'll get back to you on that."

The moral of the story: Jan is NOT easily confused! ...I think... Perhaps... That is, well, ...er... ...What was the question?

2 comments:

Kris said...

OK...I don't like this Jan at all...aaarrrgggghhh!

K.

benning said...

Maybe you need to get her attention first. Have you tried the 2x4-across-the-head ploy?

You know it wouldn't damage anything she uses. LOL