Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Accidental Tourists

While preparing to make a soda delivery today at a convenient store just 500 feet off of Interstate 81, I was interrupted as I unloaded my truck by a middle-aged couple, waving frantically at me. They were strolling up to me from their SUV, which was packed to the hilt. "Excuse me," the gentleman quizzed, "Can you tell us the easiest way to get to Niagara Falls?"
I noticed his wife had a notebook and paper, so I responded, "Sure. First you want to go up I-81 to Binghamton--"
The man barged in, "OK, so 81 NORTH. That's up that way, isn't it?"
"Yes," I warily answered. "Once you get to Binghamton, follow Route 17 West. That'll take you past Elmira. Keep going until you reach I-390, and go up to Rochester. Exit at the sign for 90 West to Buffalo. Once you get to Buffalo, take I-290 North for about 10 miles, and then turn on to I-190 North. Once to cross the second big bridge, take the first exit, which is the Moses Parkway. After about 3 miles, you run right into the main parking lot." (I took the time to list the directions to prove how simple they are.)
Let the game of 20 questions begin!
She says, "What sights are there to see along the way?" He says, "What hotel should we stay at?" She asks, "So do we go through Syracuse?" He says, "So how much do tolls add up to?"
What, do I LOOK like AAA here???
After a ton of questions, I noticed she never wrote down the directions. She turns to him, "You know, I'll never remember these directions. I'm going inside to buy a map."
OK, I thought, no skin off of my nose; it's probably a good idea. I go back to unloading my truck, and she taps me on the shoulder (with map in hand) and says, "OK, now can you show me what roads we take?"
You mean to tell me, you pack up the car to take a trip, and you have NO CLUE how to get there, or where to stay, or what to do?

Yep. The accidental tourists. If they actually make it to their destination, it'll be an accident.

2 comments:

Local Musician said...

You should have sent them SOUTH on 81.
People like that would probably just fall over the railing at Niagara Falls...

"May I have your attention, please! If you look to your right, you'll see the world's biggest bag of 'DUH!'"

Audi said...

I understand that kind of tourist. Working in a hotel I've learned there are all types. The types that call for directions becasue they are lost and can't even tell you the cross street they are on. Okay I understand needing directions when you are lost. Though how am I supposed to give you directions if I don't even know where you are. "DUH!"