Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Many words in edgewise

There's only one thing more annoying than a person having a loud conversation on the cell phone in a public place, and that's someone else who makes themselves part of the call.
As we work through the day, Pat and I often "Direct Connect" each other and gab, to help pass the time. (BTW, for those not in the know, direct connect is the walkie-talkie feature that comes on a lot of phones.) Last week, Pat contacted me as I was walking into a mom-and-pop grocery store. "Whassup?" I replied.
"Where are you at right now?" Pat asked.
No sooner had I pushed in the "Talk" button when a middle-aged, dirty, poorly-dressed woman blurted out, "This is Pine Brook Market!"
I gave her a look that said, "Thanks, but I was the one he asked." I went back to my conversation, and said, "Like you probably heard, Pine Brook."
Pat beeped back, "How many more stops you have left?"
"Only a couple," I informed him. "I'm going to the pizzeria up the road next."
The grating voice bellowed, "Which one? Antonio's??"
In calm frustration, I excused myself from the store to get the rest of the shipment. As I loaded up my cart, chatting with Pat, and sharing a head-shaking at the Human Ear, she happened to exit the shop, and walked up to me.
"Are you going to Antonio's? If you want to know where it is, it's 1 block up, after the curve, on the right side!"
I told her I knew where Antonio's was, and Pat's voice came over the phone, with a bit of a chuckle, "Who is that?"
I knew what was about to happen, so I just pushed the button and let her answer. "Oh, it's just me. I'm nobody!"

Maybe so, but it appears you'd really like to meet my friend! Where on earth did this lady get the idea we were talking to her?

No comments: