Monday, April 17, 2006

A routine day on the job

Today was my first day as a driver for a beverage distributor. Going through my invoices, I spotted a delivery for the "Bear Creek Camp," I place I had never even heard of before. Turns out there's a good reason why.
After a long drive, I finally found the sign for the camp, and turned into the driveway. ...A very long, earthen red clay driveway. ...Extending deep into the forest... ...Through state hunting lands... Thoughts of "The Hills Have Eyes" and the "Blair Witch Project" ran through my mind. The trail twisted on and on and on through the thick woods for THREE MILES. This was indeed going to be a very unusual stop. After 3 long miles, a wood-carved overhead sign appeared. "Welcome to Bear Creek Camp," it read, giving me hope that this place can't possibly be any more remote. I was wrong.
After yet another mile's journey, I finally saw a large building in a slight clearing. A clean shaven man with a strange, foreign look in his eye--similar to Professor Okin's on "Independence Day"-- met me to show me where to place the cases of soda. He led me into the main building's dining area (across the road from a small shed-like building called "The Cubic Yard") and said in a creepy voice, "Here's the cooler. You can put them in theeeeere..." Nightmares about being shut up in a walk-in flashed through my thoughts.
The delivery now complete, I handed the invoice to the man to sign. His signature read, "Benth." ...Huh? Was that a code name for Jeffrey Dahmer??? I got into the truck, and even though the path was rough and dusty, I flew out there as fast as I could, yearning to make it back to civilization with haste. Finally, the overhead sign appeared, and on the back was carved, "Thanks for visiting us! Come back again! Tell a friend about us!" Alright, I'll tell others about you.
...If you're visiting Northeastern PA, don't EVER go to a place called "Bear Creek Camp," unless you enjoy living out horror films!

So concluded my first day on the job. I wonder what tomorrow will hold!

4 comments:

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

Ooooh! Did it leave you missin' Bart, Jan and the Lady with the garbage shoved up her clothes? Better luck tomorrow....although today I guess it was good luck that you didn't go missing at Bear Creek Camp!

Kris said...

OMG...I immediately thought of the Hills Have Eyes...creepy. Were there any other people there or were they just getting ready for the camp season do you think? Why do you think they need all those beverages...possibly a beverage conspiracy here...HEhe.

K.

D.B. Echo said...

They've got a website! Turns out it's not some secret government facility...just a bunch of Lutherans.

http://www.bearcreekcamp.org/

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you got spooked by a bunch of campers.
After all, you're an RCCA survivor!
Now THAT would scare the daylights out of anybody!