Sunday, April 16, 2006

The blind leading... nobody

Well, my term of service at the uniform distribution center is complete. Friday was my last day, and I had to spend a large part of the day in "exit interviews." (This whole concept makes no sense to me whatsoever-- you're forcing your labor costs up by taking a resigning employee off the floor, creating more work for your co-employees? Why not just sign some paperwork and be done with it?)
The brand spanking-new, quite green plant manager, "Alice," asked me my primary reason(s) for leaving. I responded, "The greatest reason was the abysmal 84% customer service rating on trim application." (Click link to see that post.)
A puzzled look crossed Alice's face. "That was your primary reason for leaving? I don't understand." I (never took a college class on business administration) decided to explain this indicator to a graduate with an MBA in Business Admin.
"Think about it. 16% of our customers are unsatisfied with how the uniforms look?" Alice didn't get it. "I still don't see why you think that's such a big deal."
I educated, "If you just grab a garment out of a box and give it to someone, it's just a shirt or a pair of pants. When you place the emblems on it, it becomes a uniform. The emblems are the central focus of the uniform."
Alice still was confused. "I don't understand why you think the company position is that that's acceptable."
I said, "These were Jan's exact words," relaying the story of our morning update March 21st. "You think that's acceptable?"
Now Alice put on a defiant complexion. "Well, let me tell you, the truth is that's 84% 'meets expectations' and 16% opportunity..."
(Don't use your business buzzwords with me, lady! I'm not here to play Bingo!)
I had had enough of trying to describe--logically--why this is a bad precursor. "You can sugar-coat it all you want. Bottom line, it's 16% failure to please the customer, and NO corporation can survive like that, especially when it's considered 'not bad!'"

The funny thing about this whole exchange is that afterward, I was considered the bad guy, and was asked to leave as soon as the interview was over. I retorted, "No, I'm staying until the end of the day, because I told everyone I'd be here, and I'm a man of my word. Why should I create more work for my partners by not being here?" Alice, quite grudgingly, allowed me to stay.

Well, excuuuuuuuse me for trying to help your organization by crying out against complacency!

2 comments:

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

Can't wait to hear stories from the new place!

Kris said...

People are STUPID...but you knew that already...Hehe.

Happy Easter!
K.