Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Too close for discomfort

I went to the grocery store after work to pick up a couple of things today. I got into a checkout line behind an elderly man, holding (literally) 4 items. As I patiently waited for the gentleman to have his order completed, I felt a bump at the back of my legs. I turned around to find a biker chick smugly jamming her cart into my calves. I shot her a firm, but polite look which said, "Could I please have a bit of room?"
Obviously, telepathy was not her strong suit.
I moved up 1 step as the gentleman in front of me prepared to pay, and meanwhile, I was getting 2-liters and boxes of spaghetti jammed into the small of my back. Without turning around, I pointedly called, "You're excused!" The comment was only met with a snicker and a snort. Finally, I was able to move up as the man in front exited the lane. No sooner had I done so when I noticed pressure put on the backs of my heels. I turned around and was nose-to-nose with Lulu.
I said, with much resignation, "Would you please give me some personal space here!?" Acting like I just told her I was wearing a time-bomb, she backed off one small step.
When the cashier finished with my order, I grabbed the receipt and was dismissed by Mrs. Harley with a sarcastic, "Have a wonderful day!"

OK, chickie-boo, if your goal is to see how many people you can thoroughly irritate, you've successfully added me to your list. Now go away.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find that when it comes to rear-end collisions, Wal-Mart is at the top of the list.
Man, I hate Wal-Mart...

Shadowspun said...

That would be about as annoying as being in a 15-item or less aisle right behind the yahoo with a cartfull of items. "But they're different transactions of 15 or less each!"

Asaph's Table said...

Shadow, I have an old post somewhere here about a 10-item or less aisle, and the woman actually started COUNTING the items in her FULL cart. Nice.

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

I thought that you only went shopping for underwear with strange slogans?!!!!