Saturday, April 29, 2006

Confucius say, "Duh?"

I recently ordered Chinese take-out. And, what's Chinese food without a fortune cookie? (Or, as I call it, a "statement cookie.") Sometimes, the fortunes aren't even logical. Sorry if I sound a bit like Spock, but I can only shake my head when I read, "This instant is the only time there is."
So, sorry to inform you, reader, but since the present is the only time that exists, the past does not. Hence, you're not really reading this blog posting because you weren't born "X" years ago, and I didn't write this, because I wasn't born either; nor can you read this in the present, since it was posted in the past. Heck, 3 words prior to this doesn't even exist because it was passe. I could go on and on, but I'd probably forget what I'm talking about, since my train of thought was formulated a while ago...

Mr. Incredulous say, "That make as much sense as Chinese fortune cookie. Dry and crumbly, and nothing worth reading inside it anyway."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You missed the point. The message was intended to mean Carpe Diem, or Cease the day for you latin ignorants. Keep in mind that fortune cookies are usually directly translated from eastern asian languages, usually Chinese so some of the meaning may get lost in the translation. I would expect an educated person such as yourself to be sensitive to such differences but my guess is probably not.

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

I like fortune cookies. I was however nervous when as a teenager I got one that said "you will have a healthy baby son" I'm so glad it was right! ....oh, wait, I have 4 girls. Humph!

mish-mash mousse said...

Carpe Diem means SIEZE the day, A.
I would expect an educated person such as yourself to to know the difference. Maybe not, eh?

Asaph's Table said...

Sometimes I wish I COULD "Cease the day."
Actually, most fortune cookies are modern-day (Westernized) creations, and have absolutely nothing to do with ancient Chinese grammar or Confusist philosophies.
Anonymous, I apologize if I struck some nerve in you; however, if you read the majority of this blog, you'll understand that while I don't go out of my way to slander people groups, neither am I in the least bit a subscriber to "Political correctness."

Sariah said...

I'm completely amazed at the comment by Anon. You could do a whole post on his comment. Hee hee. I thought everyone knew what "Carpe Diem" meant, but I guess I was wrong. That's why I love this site. It makes me feel smart because of the number of stupid things people do and say every day.

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

You tell 'em guys! Good to see you comment mish-mash! I thought Mr. I had you hidden away somewhere!

Anonymous said...

At least the "fortune" didn't say,
"What you just ate wasn't chicken"...
Button?

Asaph's Table said...

Big bro: remember, "Tin-Tin" means "Cat cat." What's the reason for that, you suppose??? Hmmmmm....