Friday, April 28, 2006

Tech support only. Thinking is optional.

I bought a new computer yesterday. (Old one crashed!) After making the purchase, I brought the machine home and hooked it all up. ...And nothing happened, other than the "On" light flashed. Obviously, something wasn't quite right, so I went back to the store today to make an exchange.
Per store policy, before completing a refund/exchange, tech support must check out the unit in question. OK, no problem, I thought. Mr. IT-- a very green barely college-age dude-- came out and hooked it up. Predictably, nothing happened. IT asked me, "When did you purchase this?"
"Yesterday," I factually replied.
He raised his eyebrows in surprise, as if I told him I was Bill Gates. "Really?!" he pondered.
After removing the cover to the CPU, he made a startling discovery. "Hmm. This mother-board's bad. The whole thing's shot. When did you purchase this??"
A tad more forcefully, I replied, "Yesterday, at about 7:30 PM."
IT turned and called to his buddy, "Hey 'John.' Could you come look at this?"
After a brief consultation, John probed, "You bought this yesterday?"
"Yes,..." I coolly affirmed.
After about 5 more minutes of probing and puzzling, the 2 tekkies gave up and said almost in unison, "Well, I guess that happens from time to time! 'Alexa' will complete your exchange transaction now..."

They have been assimilated. Resistance was futile!

2 comments:

Kris said...

YIKES...sounds like something I went through when I bought my laptop.

K.

Anonymous said...

So, when did you buy it?