Monday, December 19, 2005

Job requirement: sight

My job at a distribution center is not a place that requires rocket science, only that you pay attention to what's going on.
One of the features in the building are blue carts located at various points within the facility along the two main aisles. When the order pickers empty a cardboard container of garments, they cut it flat and lay them on the cart. Then, later on, maintenance takes the pile of flattened boxes to the baler.
Today, I was assisting the order pickers, and I happened upon a small pile of flattened boxes laying on the floor where a blue cart would normally be located. For whatever reason, the cart had been moved to the other side of the aisle. It was not visually obscured or hidden. I asked-- not expecting an answer, "Who left all these boxes on the floor!?" (It's a safety issue.)
"Leila" emerged from a side aisle. "I did," she replied. "...Since the cart wasn't there."
I turned and pointed at the cart located a scant 8 feet away, just on the other side of the aisle! "It's right there," I informed her.
Leila got an annoyed look on her face, and with disgust, snorted, "Well, how do they expect us to find it there?"

If ignorance is bliss, it appears Leila has found paradise.

No comments: