Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Unintelligent design

Today, as I sat with some of my co-workers at lunch, the newscast on the cafeteria TV informed us that a Harrisburg (PA) judge ruled that the Dover (PA) Area School District could NOT teach Intelligent Design in its Biology materials. (This whole case was made famous by radical statements made by Pat "My Foot Is Tasty" Robertson.)
"Bess" said, "I don't even know anything about it. What's Intelligent Design?"
I proceeded to tell her, stating, "I don't see what the big issue is. It's not religion. It's a belief system, just like evolution is."
"Alena" was clearly agitated. "No, evolution is a theory."
I replied, "Right. A theory, by definition, is a scientific proposition that is not or cannot be absolutely proven. Therefore, it's a belief."
Alena disagreed. "Just because it's not proven does not make it a belief!"
I rationally explained, saying, "If something cannot be proven, then it takes faith to accept it as truth. Hence, it IS a belief! But faith is required. Intelligent Design is not necessarily advocating a specific God or higher being; it only proposes that a higher, outside force is responsible for the order of the universe. It is NOT religion, it's simply a belief system!"
Alena shook her head, and defiantly voiced, "I'm highly against anything that requires that you go to church."
WHAT???
Yes, I see on page 2 of the I.D. textbooks that it reads, "In order for the reader to grasp the concepts taught in this book, it is necessary, without exception, that you regularly attend and participate in a fundamentalist Christian church."

I should know better than to try to have a logical discussion with some of my fellow employees. Therefore, I submit to Sierra that I should be nominated for the Idiot Cloud Award for today...

1 comment:

Kurt said...

I totally disagree with you, however, Pat "My Foot Is Tasty" Robertson, that's funny.