Tuesday, August 01, 2006

2nd today: To prove a point

Upon completing my deliveries today, I returned to the warehouse, and prepared to pull into the building to check in, but lo and behold, I couldn't, because "Jake," my co-worker who doesn't, had parked his truck right in front of the garage door and disappeared. (BTW, it should be said that Jake is a self-proclaimed expert in everything, including mechanics.) With much frustration, I put my truck in "park" and jumped out of the cab, looking for him. Upon entering the building, I spotted him having a casual chat with another driver down at the other end. I yelled at him to move his wheels out of the way, and with a reluctant swagger, Jake waltzed my way.
I hopped back into my truck at about the same time Jake got in his, and then I heard, "Whir-click. Whir-click. Whir-click." Several failed attempts to start his truck later, I yelled out my cab, "Let the choke out, you idiot!!!" Like magic, the truck suddenly roared to a start, and he backed it into the parking lot, while I went into the warehouse to complete my day.
Jake entered moments later. "Hey fella, you should know the starter's bad on that truck before you call someone an idiot," he complained.
In no mood after working all day in 100 degree heat, I said, "Man, that truck's run rough for a month and a half. I never had a problem starting it. Just let out the choke and pump the gas twice before turning it over."
Jake didn't want to hear it. "The starter's bad," he shot back.
"Really?" I retorted. "Why don't you follow me and I'll show you how to start it!"
His pride wounded, Jake just muttered under his breath and walked away. He then went straight up to "Mark" and said, "When are they gonna fix that truck? The starter's been going on it for some time now!"
To my delight, Mark promptly went to the truck climbed in, and on the first try...
VROOOOOMMMM!

It was the best laugh I had all day.

No comments: