Sunday, August 13, 2006

Cloud of Idiot Gasoline (apologies to sierra)

In my travels today, I found a gas station which was selling Regular unleaded at $2.80 per gallon. (These days, that's a bargain!) Being that economic experts have been all over the news warning of a probable increase to $3.50/gal a month from now, I decided to top off my tank. Expectedly, I had to wait in quite a line, which was fine with me. Finally, I was next in line.
A woman got out of a Hyundai Sonota in front of me to pump the gas. I assume she usually went to full service stations, because she had little clue as to what she was doing. Problem #1: She lifted the handle and pushed the "start" button, but nothing happened. I guess the HUGE white sign on the pump which read, "Cash customers, please pre-pay" was invisible. Finally, she figured out the problem, walked in to pay, then back out to pump. She put the nozzle in the tank, and clicked on the auto shut-off lever. (Problem #2, as she proceeded to stare into the sky while the car got filled.)
...It took forever! I couldn't figure out why, until I spotted gas pouring down the side of her car. I honked and motioned, to which she curiously glanced at me, but ignored me. I rolled down my window and called, "Your tank's overflowing!" Startled, she ogled at the fluid gushing from her tank, and shut the pump off. Then she had to angrily stomp back into the station and gripe to the cashier. After about 2 minutes-- this whole episode took about 15 minutes to play out-- she stormed back out and sped off, leaving the poor gas dude to dump litter over about 2 gallons worth of wasted gasoline. He told me, "That woman just bit my head off, telling me it's my fault she spilled gas! What's with that???"

The moron-- I mean, moral-- of the story is, Take accountability for your words and actions, and PAY ATTENTION to what you're doing!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say, Sierra... pump shuts off... and in New Jersey it is all full serve, so she may be from there! Also, I am not the anonymous who left a comment in the above post! What the hell was that nonsense?