Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Computer Error??? How could that BE!???

At many locales where I deliver beverages on a daily basis, store receivers "scan" in the product into their inventory by using a hand-held computer, often called an RF gun. All the person checking in the order needs to do is point the gun at the UPC code on the bottle or package, and it automatically reads the product type, how many cases are coming in, price, and so on...
...Theoretically.
It's also known by most logical creatures that every so often, be it rarely, computers do goof up. Today was such an occasion. As I was getting checked in at a local grocery store, I was verifying 32 cases going into the store. Upon completion of the scans, the receiver had 33 cases, but $25 less than the amount listed on my invoice. We re-scanned everything, only to show the same result. Finally, at my suggestion, the receiver printed out a hard copy of what was scanned in. As we painstakingly went down the list one-by-one, a UPC code came up that was NOT on the pallet of merchandise. I looked at the order detail, and it read 2 cases of 8oz. 7-Up bottles. (Something, to my knowledge, not even made!)
I said, "Ahh, there's our problem. It scanned in 2 cases of non-existent product. The list should include 1 case of Diet 7-Up 2-liters instead." The befuddled gal couldn't believe that Big Blue had made an unfortunate miscalculation, and with a look of near-agony, spurted, "Well, that CAN'T be! The gun read it! It HAS to be there!"

Ooooooooo-K!

You have been assimilated. Resistance is futile.

2 comments:

Kris said...

I had sort of the same thing happen to me in front of me in the grocery line. Self serve checkout at Fred Meyer kept scanning the lady in front of me's grapes as VERY expensive olives! Her head about popped off! LOL.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.